Autumn for me means one thing… warm breakfast under the blanket! A long time ago, when I started my journey with healthy food, I got my feet wet with a breakfast porridge. That was my comfort food for a long time, thus when I decided to eliminate gluten from my diet I was really upset. Life without morning porridge just seemed not right! Paradoxically enough, life without gluten was a great discovery – I’ve found tastes that are my comfort food now – millet, quinoa, and other gluten free grains.
My first gluten-free addiction was millet. It’s cheap, filling and easy to make. When I first tried breakfast millet, with stevia, coconut milk and fresh fruits I knew there is no way back to old style porridge. Breakfast millet was not only accepted by my family, but became our real addiction! My mother who loves gluten, eats breakfast millet every Saturday – that’s her Saturday breakfast ritual. I’m getting bored easily so I had to go further hence breakfast quinoa! It cooks longer, but it really worth it. Today I’m serving you breakfast quinoa with Polish pear and stevia/erythritol caramelised almonds (you can skip caramelisation if you feel that’s too complicated).
2 small portions or 1 big
- 60g quinoa (1/3 cup)
- 80ml full fat coconut milk (1/3 cup) + 1 spoon of milk per portion**
- 20g cranberry
- 20g dates (3 dates)
- 1-2 teaspoon of stevia with erythritol
- 1/3 flat teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash of powdered ginger
*I used 320ml water (1 and 1/3 cup) for a triple colour (mixed) quinoa. You will need less water if you use normal, white quinoa.
**add it straight to the bowl before serving
- 1 big pear
- 1-2 teaspoon of stevia with erythritol*
- 30g almonds
*you can skip it and just roast almonds and pear
- Wash quinoa and place it in the pot. Add 1 cup of water and cook it until water evaporate.
- Add coconut milk (1/3 cup), dates, cranberries and spices. Cook it until thickness (for about 13-15 minutes).
- Cut pear into pieces. The shape dosn’t matter. Cut it as you like it!
- Heat frying pan. Add almonds. Roast for about 2 minutes. Add pear on the side. Roast for a minute and half.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of stevia with erythritol over the almonds and pear. Fry to another 30 sec. Turn off the pan and add another half of the sweetener. Put on the side.
- Breakfast quinoa is ready to eat! Place it in your favourite bowl, add 1 spoon of coconut milk, stir a bit, add pear and almonds on the top and enjoy!
It tastes the best under the blanket! 🙂